Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Winter Bird Notes


If you have ever noticed small flocks of 10-30 birds scatter as you drive down a midwestern winter country road you are very likely seeing Horned Larks.


Another common winter bird in the Midwest is the Dark-Eyed Junco, we usually get the Slate-Colored subspecies in Illinois, but I recently had an Oregon Junco subspecies at my bird feeder.




About a month ago I spent a couple hours in an oak forest that had recently been burned.  The Red-Headed Woodpeckers were abundant!  I suspect the the fire made acorns much easier to find and that they were taking advantage of the easy picking!

If you want to see more of my field sketches or other illustrations please visit www.buroakbotanicals.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.