Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Contributor Introduction - Sandy







This is my first contribution to the Sketching in Nature group and I'd like to introduce myself. The main medium I've worked in for many years is gouache. For a full size painting (a full sheet of watercolor paper) I spend anywhere from six to ten weeks. For some of my botanical studies, done strictly from life, I work off and on during the plant's life cycle and if I happen to miss a phase I put the painting away until that phase comes around the next year. Needless to say, after doing that for many years I began to look around for an alternative way to record the things around me that didn't require such a committment of time. That's when I was lucky enough to run across Kate's watercolor pencil workshop in early 2008. I will never give up gouache because I'm an addict when it comes to detail, but I've also developed a love of watercolor pencil and pen and ink. I had to give up art entirely for well over a year because of near blindness, and as my vision began to return and I reconnected to the internet, what was one of the first things I ran into? -- Kate's Journaling class! What an inspiration she and my classmates have been. Starting January 1st, 2010, I began a journal dedicated to nature subjects and these three images are selections from it. I've enjoyed browsing through all your posts here and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

12 comments:

  1. Welcome Sandy, I'm rather new too; I've visited your website and your work is amazing! Thank God you got your vision back and can continue with your art...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    Lovely drawings. It is so nice to see you hear.

    I think maybe a blog should be your next endeavor (she said selfishly),

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should be here, not hear (she said with a red face)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Sandy. Beautiful sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to have you with us, Sandy...I'm delighted you're sharing these wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! These are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the group. These sketches are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please to met you! I like your botanical sketches!
    Welcome Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the group Sandy- wonderful journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi sandy guess who am i i can tell you i was your school friend and also the strongest in the class.
    i am posting this as an anonymous if you guess me mail it on apoorva_tandon@yahoo.in i ll never tell u my name until u guess even my id is of not my name.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.